Over the past year I have lost two relatives, both to horrible illnesses. My Dad is preparing to undergo treatment for liver disease, which will be very difficult for him and us as a family. Through this, I realize very few things “matter”.
Things that do not matter:
- Parking tickets
- That your college jeans don’t fit
- A bad hair day
- Fights with your significant (or not-so significant) other(s)
- That your boss is kind of a dick sometimes
- People you don’t like/enjoy/respect very much
Things that matter:
- Hugging the people you love and meaning it
- Telling the people you love you love them
- Taking care of your health
- Smiling and laughing whenever you can
- Spending time with those that are special to you, even if it means doing nothing much more than sharing space and small talk
I know this is all very “Hallmark Special”, but today I thought about something I wanted to tell my Aunt the next time I saw her, and realized she is no longer here and I saw pictures of my cousin and realized he is no longer here, either.